The Rio Declaration identified policies as an integral element of sustainable development. Principle 8 of the Rio Declaration states, “to achieve sustainable development and a higher quality of life for all people, States should reduce and eliminate unsustainable patterns of production and consumption and promote appropriate demographic policies.” The Declaration also states, “the growth of the world population and production combined with sustainable consumption patterns places increasingly severe stress on the life-supporting capacities of our planet.” 2005 The millennium Ecosystem assessment was undertaken , Indicates that humans have changed ecosystems more rapidly and extensively over the past 5 years than during any other period, primarily to meet increasing demands for food, fresh water, timber, fire and fuel. 2007: Integrated Development for East Africa conference in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. 2008: The Consortium for the Integration of Population, Health and Environment (CIPHE) was established
Ethiopia with sustainable resource-use, resilient ecosystems sustainable livelihoods, and a healthy population.
To contribute to sustainable development in Ethiopia by promoting and enhancing the integration of population, health and environment through multi-sectoral approaches.
- We Promote Respect for Nature and Human Well-being: PHE EC and its members strongly believe that people should be the main focus of development interventions and that human wellbeing is inextricably linked to the health and sustainability of the environment.
- We Believe in Partnerships and Collaboration:PHE EC believes partnerships and coalition building as the cornerstone of successful multi-sectoral PHE integration and is committed to fostering and sustaining partnerships with government bodies, member organizations, development partners, and other stakeholders in order to achieve its goals and objectives..
- We Promote Equality, Rights and Diversity: PHE EC promotes social equality and the rights of all people, including women, children and marginalized communities, to be respected and protected. PHE EC works with people from all walks of life and encourages the active participation of people regardless of age, gender, disability, or any other differences..
- We Promote Accountability and Transparency:PHE EC accepts full accountability for all its agreed commitments and strongly supports the use of evidence and results to influence decision-making and to measure the effectiveness of its interventions and activities. PHE EC strives to openly demonstrate the results of its work transparently to its members, partners, stakeholders, and the general public.
- We Promote Community Ownership, Participation and Empowerment:PHE EC and its member organizations believe that community ownership, participation, and empowerment are essential components of successful interventions to promote creativity, imagination, innovation, and sustainability.
Ad-hoc Member Organizations
- Lem Ethiopia: the Environment & Development Society of Ethiopia, Chair
- EngenderHealth Ethiopia, Vice-Chair
- Addis Ababa University (AAU)
- Arba Minch University
- Consortium of Reproductive Health Associations (CORHA)
- Ethiopian Environmental Protection Authority (EPA)
- Horn of Africa Regional Environment Centre/Network (HoA-REC/N)